by James Richardson
- No matter how fast you travel, life walks.
- Desire’s most seductive promise is not pleasure but change, not that you might possess your object but that you might become the one who belongs with it.
- There are silences harder to take back than words.
- Embarrassment is the greatest teacher, but since its lessons are exactly those we have tried to conceal from ourselves, it may teach us, also, to perfect our self-deception.
- If it can be used again, it is not wisdom but theory.
- Wind cannot blow the wind away, nor water wash away the water.
- Our lives get complicated because complexity is so much simpler than simplicity.
- Everyone loves the Revolution. We only disagree on whether it has occurred.
- Pain is not a democracy.
- Once it’s gone, how easy to say it was mine.
- The world is not what anyone wished for, but it’s what everyone wished for.
- The great liars are credulous; they have convinced themselves first of all.
- Like late afternoon, a pale cirrus crosses the nearly transparent moon. They are so alike, meeting, that I feel, suddenly and childishly, They like each other. Somehow I can’t help liking them for that. Somehow I can’t help feeling that they like me liking them.
- My weaknesses are less remarkable than all the things I have at one time or another imagined were my strengths.
- Stand watch over your peace and you will be peaceless.
- What I’m not changes more than what I am.
- So many times I’ve made myself stupid with the fear of being outsmarted.
- The wound hurts less than your desire to wound me.
- Think of all the smart people who are made stupid by flaws of character. The finest watch isn’t fine long when used as a hammer.
- To lose weight or regain patience, learn to love the sour, the bitter, the salty, the clear.
Schools have classes called “women’s studies,” and “African-American literature” because the standard for existence set by white men has yet to be rescinded in this age. “Normal” history is the history of a certain class of white people, from the perspective of men. All the other histories are precisely that: Other.
Cunt: A Declaration of Independence. (via)